Monday, March 18, 2013

An "Oopsie" Bun in the Oven

After being bombarded with questions and comments the entire time I was pregnant, and continuously since my daughter's birth 14 weeks ago, about what I did to stay so fit and healthy during the whole production, it became clear to me that women are DESPERATELY seeking information outside the conventional medical thinking on the subject, which is to eat high carb and low fat during pregnancy.  In my view, with modern complications like gestational diabetes and cesarean sections on the rise, they're right to be so concerned as well as curious about the alternatives.  Thus, I decided to share my experience with pregnancy and eating Low Carb High Fat i.e. Real Food in an effort to provide some Real answers.  Take it or leave it.

This is a picture of me halfway through my pregnancy, 
on my 30th birthday with the love of my life!

Again, I was introduced to a LCHF/LCRF diet just a couple months before I became pregnant.  At that time, in January 2012, I was 15 pounds over weight (I had lost five pounds already by dieting and exercising for a month before that and had reached a plateau). I stopped exercising, because I got lazy, but continued to lose ten more pounds eating Low Carb, High Fat, Real Food. I got pregnant in March, still lost the last five pounds, and for the next eight months I gained baby weight and by "baby weight" I mean the WEIGHT of my BABY and other necessary pregnancy fluids. It must be noted that I also took a prenatal supplement that was packed with omega 3 polyunsaturated fats, including 500mg of DHA (I took a double dose) as well as a folic acid tablet.  In addition, I waited tables three days a week, but that was it as far as exercise was concerned. As you can see by the photographs, I didn't gain an ounce of excess fat and I remained healthy (not malnourished, which is essential when you are building a new human) and lean throughout my pregnancy.      

This is me at about six months. 
We went to see the wild flowers up the West Coast of South Africa.

So, what do I eat/did eat for the nine months I was pregnant?  For brekkie, either full fat organic greek yogurt with blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries when in season, just sliced banana if not, and crushed raw almonds, or eggs, bacon and avo. For lunch, last night's left overs or salad with mixed veggies and boiled eggs or bacon drizzled with olive oil of course.  For dinner, an herby roast chicken, salmon, steak (with the fat on it!), or the like, with a side of veggies (maybe a sweet potato). We use butter and cream for any sauces and cook in butter or coconut oil.  Dessert usually consists of fruit or various dark chocolate and whipped cream concoctions, such as hot chocolate or banana split... you get the idea.  Fat. Fat. Fat. With fat on top. Also, when either of us bake we use almond or coconut flour. No bread (Oopsie Bread is okay), pasta, rice or potato... no grains, no sugar aside from a dash of honey here and there and fruit from time to time.  

Seven month bump on our Babymoon to the Little Karoo.

What does all this mean for a pregnant belly?  The precious bundle inside as well as the glorious mound on the outside?  In my experience, nothing but success.  On a LCHF/LCRF diet, I was able to eat until I was satisfied, which was enough for one plus a little extra.  My blood sugar was relatively stable throughout the day, so I didn't have any nausea caused by spiking insulin, or any accompanying diabetes or unwanted weight gain.  Oh and as a special bonus, I'm sure that high fat diet, along with my high dose of omega 3's, left my skin supple and pliable, so I didn't get ANY stretch marks and my belly snapped back in just a couple weeks.  Interestingly, I saw several doctors during this time as well as my midwife and they were all amazed at how well everything was going, but the darndest thing was that they only ever asked me what I was putting on my skin, not one of them thought to ask me what I was eating... beautiful skin is built from the inside.

My Tree of Life at nine months.  I gave birth two days later...

I had a picture perfect pregnancy, an uncomplicated natural birth (without cutting or tearing) and when it was over, I had a picture perfect baby.  Jane was 7.7 pounds (3.5 kilograms), healthy, supple, super strong (already able to lift her head) and absolutely beautiful, I mean gerber baby gorgeous.  She had a lustrous head of hair and didn't resemble a shriveled old man in the slightest, which, sorry to say it, I think most babies do.  Sadly, many women use their pregnancy as an excuse to "eat for two" and/or "eat whatever they want", which usually means lots of junk food as well as lots of carbs in all its forms.  This couldn't be more misguided in my opinion. What you are putting into your body is the essential ingredients for the building blocks of a new life.  My advice would be to take a step back and really think about what you want to build it with.  I chose Real Food.

No comments:

Post a Comment